Saturday, September 16, 2006

Daily routine

Setting: Early afternoon. The sun that pours through the window to my left has slowed to a trickle, no longer illuminating the floating dust that has driven me through an entire box of antihistamines in four days. As a reminder of exactly how filthy my apartment is, it pales in comparison to watching the evening breeze actually blow the dust into small piles across my floor.

Each morning as I lay on my matella, the only furniture in my room, I regard the microcosmic feats of gymnastics with about as much concern as a bedridden cancer patient watching his most recent visitor finish off a Marlboro Red and extinguish the butt in the tray that, an hour previous, contained his breakfast.

Get up. Gotta piss. I drag my finger along the doorframe of the bathroom. Palm-sized chunks of lead-based paint crackle and drop to the floor, suicide bombers in a war I didn't start and have no real urge to continue. They shatter on impact, adding reinforcements to the sand drifts at my feet. I'll clean up tomorrow.

Outside, the call to prayer is reminding me of what a bad Muslim I am. Aim, urinate. "Hi John." Somewhere in the Benadryl-induced haze of the past couple days I must have taught the dust to speak. "Hi," I write back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought your apartment was a nice one or is "nice" a relative term? Glad to hear from you though.
Hope the rest of your move has proven to be an improvement over Kaedi. Have you begun teaching yet? We were in Hershey Thursday and Friday. We will tell you about it next phone call. No decision has been made. Let me know where to send the next care package. Sounds like you could use a goody or two.

Anonymous said...

By the what did you write with?

Anonymous said...

Borat movie upsets Kazakhstan
9.43, Wed Sep 20 2006

The new Borat movie has been unveiled at the Toronto film festival after creator Sasha Baron Cohen arrived on a wagon pulled by four women dressed as peasants.

A donkey rode in the carriage with Cohen as he arrived on the red carpet with the crowd chanting "Borat! Borat!".

"There were two more of them," he said, when asked about the women. "But they escaped in Bulgaria."

The movie has ruffled more than a few feathers this year with his character Borat - a naive journalist from Kazakhstan who unleashes his overt sexist and anti-Semitism views.

One place where the Borat movie won't be receiving a warm welcome is Kazakhstan. Their president confirmed his government will buy "educational" TV spots and print advertisements about the "real Kazakhstan" in a bid to save the country's reputation before the film is released in the US.

In addition the plug has been pulled on Borat's Kazakhstan-based website. A spokesman said: "The bottom line is we want people to know that he does not represent the true people of Kazakhstan."

Cohen, who is Jewish, was threatened with a lawsuit earlier this year by Kazakh officials upset with his portrayal of the country as a nation of drunks, racists and sexists.



--- love,

lucy

pS: now that you have internet EMAIL me damnit and tell me if you got my package.

Anonymous said...

Hi John,
In a room vastly different than the one in which you describe, I am now sharing my bedroom with my new roomate Amanda until Jamie leaves for NYC. We've got massive amounts of girly clothes everywhere, more non-needed "things" than any 30 person tribe has in your parts, and miles of wires from all the chargers and electric appliances that stimulate our lives. Amanda and I have gotten close quick, and already are sleeping together. She's a sweetheart, red hair, and likes the herbs as much as Jamie.

I've been going to acupuncture for about a month now. I walk around with needles taped into my legs (its helping to move all the stagnant energies in my body in the right directions.) I wonder what types of ancient curing remedies you have been exposed to while over there. I'm assuming the Bendryl was shipped in.

I hope you got my package. Or maybe the small kid who has to run a marathon basically from the post office to your peace corp headquarters has taken it for himself. If he did, its ok. Fruit rollups and soduku probably won't excite him that much.

I've dyed my hair black and have hot pink streaks in it. I've re-cut my bangs, and eat a strict diet based upon my acupuncturist' requests. Whole wheat, chicken, and blackberries. I saw a young man who looked like you the other day and it sparked me to look back here on your blog. The photograph is beautiful. When you return I'll help you scrapbook all those photos.

Be well, keep posting those great similies, adjectives, and adverbs. I enjoy your commentary and can't wait for the next time we see each other and for you to witness how grown up I've become! :)
KT
P.S. I forgot to mention that I was attacked on the DC metro bus the other day by a crazy narcoleptic homeless man. He'd hit me with his packback (which wasn't filled with anything) and then fall asleep on my shoulder. Wake up and hit me again. I couldn't decide whether to fight back or laugh.