Friday, December 15, 2006

Third world product reviews: Brousse Wine

Today's special edition of TWPR (yeah, I know there are only two) is dedicated to one Kris Webb, brewer par excellence, who helped me with the logistics of this whole affair. Using a very marketable talent honed in the breweries of New Mexico, he has taken the formerly savage PCV custom of making homemade hibiscus wine (hereforth known as "brousse wine") out of the desert, taught it how to speak and act properly, and reintroduced it to high society as a cultivated art form. Kind of like a shitty version of "My Fair Lady." This is the go-to product for those looking to kill the pain of living in a dry country among goats and donkeys and that one person per day who thinks that you came over here solely to dole out visas to the person who lays it on thickest.

Until this past weekend, I had yet to indulge in PC Mauritania's most clandestine custom. The taste? Surprisingly, it's pretty good. Depending on how much sugar gets transmuted into the sweet nectar of deadened feelings, you'll be drinking anything from sugar water to Kool-Aid with a kick. This batch featured a mixture of younger and older vintages, leaning towards youth, and remained somewhat sweet. While you can't taste the yeast (at least, I don't think you can - I have no frame of reference), it will give you a mean case of the runs if you don't let it ferment completely. Be warned.

And just so you can have the whole "African armchair experience," I am providing the recipe below. Not that I expect anyone to really go through with it, but if you do, please let me know how it goes.

Ingredients:
  • 20 liters of water
  • 1 kilogram of hibiscus leaves
  • 3.5 kilograms of sugar
  • 4 tablespoons of baker's yeast
The process:
  1. Soak the hibiscus leaves in the 20 liters of water overnight. Strain to remove the foliage.
  2. Add the sugar.
  3. Boil the water for about 10 minutes (this kills any critters that may have wandered in with the hibiscus leaves or sugar, and reportedly improves the taste).
  4. Let the water cool, and place it in a gerrycan. Think 20 liter gasoline canister.
  5. Boil a small amount of water separately, and let it cool (again, this is a sterility issue).
  6. Sprinkle the yeast on top of the cooled water (this rehydrates and essentially preps the yeast to work at maximum efficiency once submerged in the wine-to-be).
  7. Let the yeast soak for about 10 minutes.
  8. Add the yeast to the gerrycan (you can just dump the water in with it, which is why you only want to use a small amount).
  9. Slap a condom over the opening, and place the gerrycan somewhere cool (not your fridge - your goal is to keep the fermentation from topping 75 degree F).
  10. If you've done everything properly (which isn't difficult), within 24 hours that condom will be fully inflated with the resulting gases of fermentation. Let the gerrycan sit for about 4 weeks, and you've got yourself 20 liters of palatable homemade wine.
Note:
  • Sterility is key. Clean everything that will come into contact with the wine with bleach, and rinse thoroughly, because bleach kills yeast.
Personally, I'm picturing whole families gathered in a Christmas setting (soft-focus camera shot), with small children handling large pots of bleach and boiling water while mom and dad continue to swig their homemade booze, telling the kids that they're just "making sure" the last batch came out well. Happy holidays.

16 comments:

Pat said...

John,
I think it's only fair we share the experience. I will begin to work on a batch of this "champagne of wines". Although i don't have a gas can - maybe something more civilized will work.
Pat

Anonymous said...

How about putting the directions in english. What is this liter you speak of?

Anonymous said...

John:

I'd be very interested in any reflections you have on this article: http://www.the-american-interest.com/ai2/article.cfm?Id=219&MId=6

And in response to your wishlist, I'll supply the voice recorder. I just happen to have an iRiver MP3 player that records voice -- I used it for field work this summer and it was fantastic. I'll be putting together a love package this week, and shipping it off in time for... Easter? Maybe in time for Ayyam-i-Ha, though.

peace
Geoff.

Anonymous said...

Pat, hilarious. Kyle, do you need a translation for "kilogram" as well? And Geoff, email that link, because The American Interest can't seem to find the article.

Anonymous said...

Why are your blue sissors always in the pictures - do you use them frequently?

Anonymous said...

Actually, yeah. I drink about a liter of Millac a day, and I use them to cut the carton open.

Unknown said...

John: Package sent and on it's way. I propose a betting pool on your blog about how long the package will take to arrive. Any takers?

Geoff.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Have you gotten your Christmas package yet? It has been a month since I sent it.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Remix

Tim said...

merry christmas buddy

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, John!
(From everyone in Ft. Wayne!)

Anonymous said...

John. Congrats on the promotion and merry Christmas. I hope my package makes it before the New Year.

Pat. Try and use a water cooler bottle (you know, the giant blue plastic bottles that you flip onto the top of... for lack of better words... a water cooler). You may have to play with the measurements of the ingredients a bit, but some friends and I made some homemade wine in those and they worked great (not to mention are pretty sanitary in comparison to a gas-can). Also on that note, a rubber glove will work as well as a jimmy hat, though I’m glad to hear that John has access to them.

-Isaac

Anonymous said...

merry holiday and happy new year. i've put up a metal pole at work to honor your strong festivus spirit.

cookie said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I sent you a Christmas card. You probably won't get it until February. It's a nice photo of me. I'm sure you'll be thrilled. Congrats on the appointment!

Unknown said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR JOHN!!

I have so many new questions: did the Saddam Hussein hanging provoke much reaction in Mauritania? How did NDB and NKT ring in the new year? Do you have any travels planned for 2007? Does the gecko (who probably isn't even alive anymore) have a name yet? I will respectfully concede that Bertrand is no longer a viable option and will gladly support transferring any and all votes made for Bertrand to the Yasmine Bleeth camp.

So, in an unusually dramatic turn of events, my life actually has had some excitement. I met a fine upstanding fellow from my hometown (of all places) over Thanksgiving break and we have been hanging out a bit here and there, despite him living in NYC. Anyway, we decided last minute to leave for Paris and London the day after Christmas and spent our 5th date in Europe for a week. I'm waiting for him to turn into an axe murderer because, really, who plans a vacation to Europe 2 days before the flight takes off?? sigh. This is so cheesy. I really should just write this to you in an email but all of your devoted readers have already posted comments so I'm guessing no one will see this one anyway. Anyway, that's the latest in my life. I hope you are doing well and love reading all of your posts.

Love Kerry

Pat said...

John,
I need my fix write more blog