Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Second trimester exams - will you pass?

It's about that time again, which means many of you have seen me online for upwards of six hours a day while I crank out seemingly endless variations on several exams in an attempt to curb the rampant cheating that somehow became "part of the process." In the spirit of giving, I share with you now a sample exam, cobbled together from the tests of four different classes (about 16 total). I also invite you to enter any and all answers into the comments section to prove to the world how well you are at English!

And no cheating.

Part 1: Simple Present/Present Continuous
Directions: Conjugate the verb in parentheses in either simple present or present continuous tense.
  1. Where (Jim, go) _______________ every night? I can never find him.

  2. In the evening, Faty (make) _______________ dinner for her family. This evening, however, she (help) _______________ her father fix his Mercedes.

  3. A: What (you, do) _______________ right now?
    B: I (write) _______________ a story about a boy who can’t read.
    A: (it, be) _______________ a sad story?
    B: Yes.

  4. Every day Mark (go) _______________ to school, and if he has the time afterwards, he (meet) _______________ his friends.

  5. A: The phone (ring) _______________!
    B: I’ll get it. It is your sister. She (call) _______________ from Vegas.
    A: What (she, do) _______________ in Vegas?
  6. B: She (say) _______________ that she (search) _______________ for happiness.
Part 2: Simple Past/Past Continuous
Directions: Conjugate the verb in parentheses in either simple past or past continuous tense.

  1. A: (you, make) ____________________ the cake that we’re eating?
    B: No, I (have – negative) ____________________ time. I (buy) ____________________ it at the bakery.

  2. They say Carly Simon (write) ____________________ "You're So Vain." I'll bet you (think) ____________________ the song was about you.

  3. Jack had a great day yesterday. First, he (go) ____________________ to the market, where he (find) ____________________ a very nice jacket. Then, as he (leave) ____________________, he (see) ____________________ one of his best friends.

  4. A: How (you, break) ____________________ your legs?
    B: I (walk) ____________________ down the stairs when my dog (run) ____________________ under my feet.

  5. Last week we all (travel) ____________________ to Atar. While we (ride) ____________________ camels through the desert, a sandstorm (come) ____________________ and we had to leave.

You have two hours to finish. Turn off your cellphones. And I want everything off your desks. Good luck.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Around here, "it be a sad story" is quite common-- I got an email with the usage in writing last week. Arguably no worse than "youse guys".

cookie said...

Well that was a walk down memory lane. The Carly Simon reference was superb. I thought number 2 in part 1 was Fatty not Faty, and for a brief moment I thought you were refering to me. I chose to finish the sentence in this manner: In the evening, Fatty makes her family for dinner. I'm going to eat a twinkie.

Katie said...

I have a website. I'm trying to get computer savvy...anyways, it's pretty borring now, but just you wait!

http://ladolcevitastories.bravehost.com

I was stumped with the very first question.

Katie said...

I'm picking the book this next meeting! Please send me ideas you have for good discussion books under 300 pages!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that you chose 'conservative' Carly Simon over 'boisterous' Britney Spears in your example of American pop-culture. Dated, yet effective (have you been gone that long?).

Not much is happening in this crazy month of march madness. This weekend I will be spending in New York for the second time this year. I'm just glad I get to sleep in.

Tim is gonna pay us a visit in NY soon for a concert. Hopefully he doesn't sleep with my room mate this time.

Unknown said...

Thank GOD Katie finally has a website. Lord knows the interweb needs more weird angle pictures of Katie making strange pouty faces because her friendster/facebook/myspace pages were not nearly enough. And while we are on the topic, God bless Al Gore for making all this possible.

Katie said...

Since I have so much "air-time" you might say on the web, I ask you, John, to make me a celebrity in Mauritana. Show them my pictures, tell them my stories...make me famous in their eyes....let them know Kyle is my personal assistant. He gets bossed around a lot.