Monday, January 08, 2007

The holidays

As I stated in yesterday's brief and inadequate note, I spent the holiday season in a state of transience. I figure a bit of explanation is due, but I'm going to keep it short.

The week following my last posting in December saw the administration of "compositions," the official end-of-trimester exams in which I discover how little I've taught my students. I wrote the tests myself, and created 4 different versions for each class in an effort to cut down on the rampant cheating that seems, to the very vocal chagrin of teachers who then appear to do nothing to combat it, to be ingrained as culturally acceptable. It took a very long time to first write the exams, and then make sure that they were all equally difficult, but in the end it was worth it. There's nothing quite so satisfying as being able to tag a fat "0 - Good Job!" at the top of a test in which the student has copied directly from his/her neighbor, answering questions that didn't even exist on his/her own page. Makes my job a lot easier (and no, I didn't actually write "Good Job!"). Anyway, I've got the scores and a few other stats compiled by hand, and within the next few days I'm going to toss them onto Excel, make some snazzy graphs, and let you soak in the numbers.

On December 22nd, I left NDB for the first time since my arrival, and it was wonderful. I stayed in NKT for about a week, during which Christmas came and went, and I basically just ate and drank and participated in an explosion of debauchery that has been building for quite some time. I spent one or two of those days walking around and discovering my country's capital, and had the pleasure of experiencing my first example of undisguised anti-West sentiment. There is an enormous Saudi mosque across the street from our new bureau. It's beautiful, and while Neda and I were admiring it from across the street we were bitched out for even looking at it by some asshole mid-departure. It was shitty and racist, and I didn't so much as frown because I was already reflecting on the bizarre mixture of helplessness and anger and understanding that immediately arose within me. Neda tried to tell him that the mosque was pretty, but he didn't give a shit.

Somewhere around the 27th I made the impromptu decision to huff it to St. Louis, Senegal with several other volunteers for a New Year's celebration. I took a few photos, but it's not much.

The street. Breathtaking.

Rob and Nick, in that order.

St. Louis' very own rollerblade gang. I too was at a loss for words.

A brief aside: you haven't seen a lot of photos because I'm hesitant to pull out the camera for a few reasons. In Senegal specifically, there is no shortage of theft. Safety is about the only advantage Mauritania has over its neighbor to the south. Someone with whom I was traveling was pickpocketed as soon as we got onto the ferry to cross the border. Thus, if being white doesn't make me a target already, revealing a very nice digital camera ought to do the trick. Secondly, there is a general aversion to white people with cameras, because, as it was explained to me, the photos have a tendency to end up in magazines and on the internet (ha). Part of it is a pride issue, part of it is a cultural issue, and part of it is a little excessive, but whether I like it or not, if I accidentally capture another adult in the frame of a shot I'm taking, there's a 50% chance that I'm going to have to deal with an uncomfortable situation.

I was in Senegal for four days and three nights. I slept in a tent on a beach on the Atlantic ocean, and I'd easily qualify New Year's 2007 as the best I've ever had. Well worth the hours upon hours of unnecessary border hassles and the bribing of officials. I also happened to be in town for Tabaski, a Muslim holiday that, among other things, requires everyone to slaughter a sheep/goat. Nick and I happened to be walking around the less touristy neighborhoods at the exact moment when the sacrifice took place, and were witnesses to the deaths of 30+ animals. The streets literally flowed red with blood while hundreds of goats gargled one final, collective death knell. Way more interesting than post-Christmas sales. And, of course, before I'd even realized where I was, it was time to go home.

Returning to Mauritania, I spent a final five days in NKT, attending an in-service training with the rest of the first-year volunteers. We took the opportunity to share experiences and teaching strategies and lament the fact that during this vacation we ripped through more money than Ted Stevens on a pork binge. All said and done, it was probably the most necessary vacation I've ever taken. In about one month I will be returning to Senegal, this time to Dakar, for W.A.I.S.T. (that's West African International Softball Tournament), where I will connect with Pete "The Frenchman" from Mali and do everything to uphold the PC Mauritania reputation as being borderline insane. Until then, of course, I will do my best to mold fragile young minds into fragile young minds that can speak English and don't hate white people.

Other notes:
  • Ye masses have spoken, and the gecko's name is Omar. I really thought Spaghetti had a chance, and I'm not-so-secretly disappointed Yasmine Bleeth didn't give a better showing. Hopefully his newly acquired name will not inspire him with enough confidence to set forth in this cruel world and abandon his domestic duties chez moi eating the army of cockroaches that moved in in my absence. I need you Omar. I need you.
  • Big-ups to mom and dad for the package, including about 11 books that direly need to be read. You have given me about two months more of entertainment, and for that I am eternally grateful.
  • Further big-ups on the package from Kristin Ann and company. That includes, from what I could tell, Lizzie, Chris, Cuban Mike, Ian, and others (tell me who I'm forgetting, because I couldn't figure out exactly who was involved). Many of the things you sent came immediately in handy. Also, yo-yos are fun.
  • And final big-ups to Pat and Kyle, who both called me on Christmas. It was unspeakably nice to hear from you personally. More people should take the cue.
That about sums it all up. A heartfelt "thank you" to everyone.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh John, so glad to hear about your holidays. You sound renewed and ready to go. Are you playing softball or just cheering for the home team in Dakar? I would love to see more pictures but understand your limitations.
Enjoy all the reading material!
I am delighted to hear you have named the gecko,"Omar." It was my personal favorite and I voted for it whenever I could.
On the home front, Dad and I and Mark Moyer are going to New Zealand sometime next month. Can you believe it? I am doing the travel plan specifics.
Let us know what other reading material your heart desires. We are beginning the collection of the next care package.
Saturday I am judging in the LaSalle forensics tournament. Don't know the event yet, but I am looking forward to it. I have been assured I am competent to be a judge. We shall see.
Keep on posting!

Unknown said...

Hi John! Great posting - I'll stop giving you a hard time about pics, although I have to believe there are some good ones of you and other PCVs being mischievous over the holidays.

I'm curious to know what books your parents sent you. I need some new recommendations to see me through until the next Harry Potter volume is released. Just kidding. Mostly.

I loved reading about your kids cheating. They should grow up and become IT consultants - all we do is copy from things that have already been done. We're just smart enough to call it "leveraging". Anyway hope things are going well back at your site. I know how painful it is to come back from vacation but maybe you can take some comfort in the fact that you don't have a cubicle to come back to.

Love Kerry

Anonymous said...

John.
What's the number we can reach you at? I mistakenly (drunkenly) tried to call your cell in the past and some girl named Jackie (Jacky?) is now the proud owner of 570.490.5154. Her voicemail paints her to be a bit of a flake, but it sounds like she's enjoying your old number. Anyways, let us know.
-isaac

Anonymous said...

Oh. I almost forgot. Kronic Rollers for life. Womb to tomb.

Anonymous said...

I hope soon that the photographs and extracurricular activity I sent along do arrive.

I am just settling back in DC after spending the month of Dec. traveling every weekend. I'm rather exhausted, but enjoy the fact that I now miss DC and am excited to be here again.

I think I would have rather joined you though for Christmas in Africa than deal with my New Hampshire relatives...

I saw the Raconteurs live for New Year's, currently am indulging in Restaurant week, and continuously basking in being in love. All I need now is a new career path.

Caroline and Marcin are hopefully visiting early Feb. (I'm trying to plan a sleepover on Kyle's couch for this event-maybe we can do a group phone call during this time!), I'm flying to Tahoe to ski with Monica, Sam, and Jordana for President's Day, and hitting up South Beach for St. Patty's. Lot's going on.

I think I asked you before, but don't remember getting your answer. How does Mauritana compare to that book I gave you from twenty or so years ago? I bet little has changed.

Miss you John.
Love,
Katie

Anonymous said...

Ok, Ok, I accept the name "Omar" though it dredges up memories of a multiply facially pierced, drugged out ex-neighbor of mine of same name in San Francisco, whom another neighbor caught on video tape eating fire in the back courtyard. More than once San Francisco's finest were called to that condo! I guess it beats having goats slaughtered on the premesis!

Anonymous said...

Wikipedia tells me that Chandler on Friends named his pet chick "Yasmine Bleeth."

Anonymous said...

Hello, John! Happy New Year from Katherine and Uncle John... (and happy birthday to your mom, if she reads the comments...) We hope you're doing well, even several days after your post. :)

Unknown said...

jon, i think i can guess which items became imediately usefull from the package... code 5 on the code 4. anyway i woulda called you on christmas except i thought u were all amish over there... you have a phone? what number can i call you at. i have stories... u know its kinda a big deal. any miss you bro. KIT LOL OMG!
xoxoxox
-chris

Unknown said...

ps any = I

J. said...

Thank you, Bobby, for blowing up what was previously a veritable gold mine of comic treasure. Ever since "Friends" has ended, I had been milking it for all the recycled jokes I could, but I guess I have no choice but to end my petty theft. Because of you, Bobby Langdon, no one will ever laugh again.

Anonymous said...

Hey John

This is irrelevant, but I recently read a pretty snappy and provocative post that made me think of you. Because you could have written it.

Anyway, it's here: http://www.zenarchery.com/2005/09/22/full-text-of-the-grim-meathook-future-thing/

geoff.

Anonymous said...

Don't blame me. Blame Wikipedia.

Unknown said...

wait. you have a dog? i'm in charge of the next care package...any new requests?? a flask perhaps? also, when do i get to learn the meaning of the mitchell hall code...i feel left out :) xoxoxlizzie