Sunday, January 21, 2007

Praise be to ye

Medical made a recent trip to our fair city, covering administrative bases and generally making sure that we were "still alive." Perhaps the most substantial portion of the visit was the arrival, at which point we were doused in Christmas letters and packages that failed to make it during my time in NKT. Thank you to the following.

  • Grammy Jane and Grandpa Bob, who sent 36 delicious oatmeal cookies, a Hershey's bar, and some packages of beef jerky. This box has been the most molested to date en route, arriving with multiple holes and the general appearance of a worn accordion. The powderized oatmeal cookies were tasty (I poured them directly from bag to mouth - cuts down on the whole "masticating" thing), and I attempted to ration the beef jerky, extending its life to a whole 40 hours. Still, overall grandparent feelgoodness arrived fully intact. Thank you very much.
  • Isaac gets a superstar award for a sweet hardcover version of "What Is The What," wherein we will see if Dave Eggers can redeem his former glory after the disappointing sophomore effort of "You Shall Know Our Velocity," (or whatever he subsequently renamed it). This thing now officially ranks among the nicest possessions I own here, and I will vigorously guard it from the light fingers of other book-starved volunteers. Isaac, thank you from the bottom of my dry, dusty heart.
  • Letters from Lizzie, Caroline, Meg, and Katie. Correspondence is still worth its weight in platinum ("ice," if you will). I'd be disturbed that more of my male friends don't write me, but the one-sidedness makes me feel cool. All cards are prominently displayed in my apartment, where my one visitor a month can bask in their Yuletide glory.
  • Marc, I am at this very moment trying to restrain myself from punching a hole through the monitor as I listen to Cyantific's "Cover Story," and, ahem, rock the fuck out. I just finished downloading all the music you posted, and now cry nightly that I don't have my turntables over here. DT8 Project's "Narama," Photek's "Age of Empires," DJ Marky & XRS, and good ol' Laurent Garnier bounce me into a hyperactive trance at least 14 times a day, and for this, I am thankful.
Such is the never-ending Christmas here in Africa.

On a more bizarre note, a spider roughly the size of a small flatbed has taken up residence in my room, Omar has disappeared, and almost every morning I find empty cockroach husks strung up in my shower. I don't know whether to be disturbed or consider him a useful new pet, but the guy is seriously large and I have no doubt that in a fight against Omar he could pull the gecko limb from limb while killing three roaches simultaneously and doing a crossword. I guess I'll decide when I wake up to find an egg sac forcefully injected into the side of my face.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

lpksmqI am worried about Omar. Are you going to have a spider naming contest? Grammy asked if you had gotten their package. Glad you did. Did you get your running shoes?
We are having our coldest weather for this winter. I am staying inside quilting away to finish Chris's and Chip's quilt.
The drawing class is great. This week we are to copy a Degas drawing. I have made some improvement in my skills and find the process fun. Copying the Degas drawing could take hours. The nice thing is I do not realize how much time is passing when I get into it.
Watch out for the spider.

Anonymous said...

John:

I'm hoping that my/your package arrives soon, but in the meantime I thought you'd enjoy trolling through this website:

http://www.antville.org//tofuhaus/

It's a blog linked to other blogs posting full albums. If you haven't listened to the Crane Wife (the Decemberists) yet, I'd strongly recommend it. Been needing to listen to it for months and was finally blessed its sonic bliss this evening.

cheerio
geoff.

Anonymous said...

It's a cold winter night outside, and I lay awake plagued by insomnia listening to tracks such as "all that you give feat. fontella bass", and "in the waiting line". I miss your DJ sets. I miss the house parties. I do not miss being cuffed in front of my own house for an open container of alcohol.

Hope you're doing well.

J. said...

I wondered when I'd hear from you. Quite delighted to dredge up fond, old memories. Send me an email sometime.

Althea said...

I thought I'd share this website with photos of "West African Street Art":
http://www.flickr.com/photos/82075546@N00/sets/72157594434561453/

Along with the artist's general website: http://www.nygus.info/

for your viewing pleasure.....
~ Althea

p.s. for those of you who care or qualified, I think I might officially be the last person, errr friend, to learn about John's blog. Thank Allah! it's greatly improving my work week, humdulah...

Anonymous said...

SORRY ABOUT THE COOKIE DUST. pERHAPS YOU CAN GIVE ME A HINT4 SO THAT THEY ARRIVE IN TACT. i'D love TO SEND YOU SOME MORE. hOW LONG DID IT TAKE THE PACKAGE TO MAKE THE TRUP. gLAD YOU,RE ok. wE EAGERLY AWAIT YOUR NEWS. tHIS IS SOME ADVENTURE YOU'RE HAVING. wE'RE SO PROUD OF YOU. iM BEING HELPED THROUGH THIS BY YOUR DAD ON THE PHONE. wHO KNOWS? mAYBE I CAN ACTUALLY BECOME A CORRESPONDENT.

Anonymous said...

This is a test message.

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, Grammy... it's called caps lock!

Bonne chance avec les élèves (et l'araignée), cousin!