Sunday, January 14, 2007

The score(s)

First trimester exams are in, and the scores basically tell you exactly what 5 minutes in any of my classes will tell you: the Math kids are the best students. Additionally, the average score for each class acts as a perfect ranking system for the order in which I enjoy them. NB, however, that my male/female lists for each class aren't perfect. The next time around I will have more detailed stats on gender, race, and absence/participation in class. For now, enjoy the chewy goodness. Also, any suggestions on data collection or analysis would be appreciated.

4CA (4th year, Math track, Arabic)

My one and only Arab class. It also happens to be my largest, and by extension, most unruly class. I see them once a week for two hours. The language barrier definitely doesn't help the learning process, seeing as I know all of 30 words in Arabic, none of which can be strung together to make a coherent sentence. Very occasionally I can directly translate a word they don't understand, but that's the extent of it. Attendance is pretty good; I'd estimate at least 45 of 57 students come on a regular basis. This was also the class that had a series of scheduling problems at the beginning of the year, causing us to lose at least a month's worth of work. I compensated, however, by spending the first trimester going over material that they should have seen at least a few times before (10/20 is the passing cut-off, by the way). Ahh well.


Totals
26/57 Passed
29/57 Failed
2/57 Did not take the test
Average score: 9.07/20

Female
9/22 Passed
13/22 Failed
Highest Score: 15/20
Average Score: 8.05/20

Male
17/33 Passed
16/33 Failed
Highest Score: 19/20
Average Score: 9.76/20

4CB (4th yeah, Math track, French)

Funny enough, this has been the class that has managed to make me the angriest. They are bright, but there are a few kids that really know how to push my buttons. Aside from that, however, I have them learning the exact same things as my 5AB class, and they generally pick things up much faster than their year-older counterparts. I see them for one two-hour session each week. It's a pretty equal mixture of kids of Arab and black descent, which isn't the case with my other classes. Attendance is pretty good, though there are a few kids that almost never show up. I've just begun to actually penalize them for it, since the administration appears to do nothing.

Totals
14/29 Passed
13/29 Failed
2/29 Did not take the test
Average score: 10.67/20

Female
2/6 Passed
4/6 Failed
Highest Score: 19/20
Average Score: 10.67/20

Male
12/21 Passed
9/21 Failed
Highest Score: 17/20
Average Score: 10.67/20

5AB (5th year, Language track, French)

My only non-math students, this class is kind of a low point. Attendance is terrible; I'd estimate around 15 of 44 students show up with any regularity. Three of them are male, the rest are female. They scoff at the same assignments I give my 4th year classes, claiming that they are "impossible." When I showed them the results from their tests, a number of them laughed when they found out they had failed. Sadly, I kind of enjoyed informing them that this was their trimester final, which they hadn't realized. It wiped a few smiles off a few faces. It is, save for one Arab student, entirely of black descent. I don't really have any disciplinary issues with them, perhaps because the students that would cause problems just don't show up. I see them twice a week, for one hour on Tuesdays and two hours on Thursdays. Two of my favorite students are in this class, though they have no idea who they are.


Totals
15/44 Passed
26/44 Failed
3/44 Did not take the test
Average Score: 7.78/20

Female

9/25 Passed
16/25 Failed
Highest Score: 17/20
Average Score: 7.36/20

Male
6/16 Passed
10/16 Failed
Highest Score: 19/20
Average Score: 8.44/20

5CB (5th year, Math track, French)

These guys are the superstars. I enjoy this class, because I don't have to waste so much time with discipline, and can actually let them get away with a lot more than the other classes without the whole thing spiraling into mass confusion. Of the 24 students, I'd estimate about 7 of them are black, and the rest are Arab. I don't have the numbers to prove this, but I believe the black male students did markedly worse than the rest of the class. They were the ones begging me to redo the test when they saw their scores. On the other hand, the two black female students held the highest scores for the girls. Like the other fifth year class, I see these guys for three hours a week, divided into two sessions.

Totals
17/24 Passed
7/24 Failed
Average Score: 12.38/20

Female
5/5 Passed
Highest Score: 18/20
Average Score: 14.6/20

Male
12/19 Passed
7/19 Failed
Highest Score: 19/20
Average Score: 11.79/20

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'Not sure what to make of your numbers. Do they disappoint you or are they what you expected? How do they compare with previous year scores for the same level students? How much of any difference do you believe is from your anticheating measures? Do you plan to teach differently in the coming trimester? Are you going to let anyone retake the test? What comment on the scores have you gotten from others in your department or from the Director?
To me it would be hard to teach a great deal in the time alloted to each class, especially with some of the class sizes.